Welcome to Raggedy Ann Girl in a 'Barbie Doll' World!

Oftentimes the world can seem too harsh. It can be too flash, too fast, too bewildering. It can be loud, unfriendly and so, so negative. We need to step away from the masses, to take time out for ourselves. BE ourselves. Without worrying about what everyone else thinks. We need a fresh start, a new approach. And most of all we need a sense of humour.
So, let's start right now. Let's shed our artificial 'Barbie doll' skins and embrace our inner Raggedy Anns!

About the blogger

United Kingdom
Derby-born Nicola Rippon is a freelance writer. She has been a regular contibutor to the "Derby Telegraph" and "Derbyshire Life & Countryside". She is the author of a number of books of both local and national interest, including "Derby Our City (2001) and "Derbyshire's Own" (2006); and is the co-author of "Goodey's Derby" (2003). In 2001 she wrote and co-produced the highly-acclaimed film "Derby: A People's History".Educated in Derbyshire at Dale Primary and Littleover Schools, she is a long-suffering Rams season ticket holder. Her latest book "The Plot to Kill Lloyd George: The Story of Alice Wheeldon and the Peartree Conspiracy" was published in 2009 and she is still ridiculously excited that she can search for herself on Amazon! With a number of exciting projects 'in the pipeline', two cats to follow around and a vegetable patch to tend, Nicola is grateful for this opportunity to vent and muse on this blog.

21 September 2010

Not heard of any of my favourite films?

You might notice I've compiled a list of my current top ten films. I say current, because this tends to change dependent on my mood, the time of year and what I've just seen etc.
Now I'm always a bit wary of putting out lists of favourites as if my opinion should matter one jot to anyone else - but I've done it anyway because these are some of the films I love and the ones that, in my very humble opinion, are worth a look. Some you will have heard of, some are very famous, some tiny little indie films that ought to get a more mainstream audience. So please forgive my presumption? I've provided links and details below because it's frustrating  when you've never heard of one. So, on the off-chance you might want to take a look, here goes. And remember to check over the censor classification before watching them with little ones or people of a sensitive nature! Not all my choices are that Raggedy Ann! My favourite Rom-Com - a Sandra Bullock/Bill Pullman film - is:  While You Were Sleeping.   Wilby Wonderful is a cute little Canadian indie film about how a small town in maritime Canada, and its quirky inhabitants deal with a potential crisis.  The first film I saw at the cinema (I was 5) is the animated version of  Charlotte's Web (Full Screen Edition). I much prefer this to the recent 'live-action' version - it's so much more charming!  The Star Wars Trilogy is actually three films, of course, but they were the first true blockbusters and really one long story. Last Night is a film about the last night on earth and how a disparate, but connected, group of people choose to spend their last hours of life.  The Untouchables (Special Collector's Edition) Yes, it's violent but it has to be the most stylish gangster film ever.  If you want something safe for all the family you might try Bambi (2-Disc Special Platinum Edition) although I have to warn you, when I saw this at the cinema, aged about 7, I cried my eyes out!  Probably my favourite film of all time is  Field of Dreams (Widescreen Two-Disc Anniversary Edition  which is much more than a film about baseball - it's about hope and faith and love and if you don't like it, you've probably got no soul. I couldn't really make this list without at least one film with Hugh Grant. So I've chosen  Love Actually (Widescreen Edition). And if you don't like Hugh then there's a huge and famous cast (some before they were all that famous) and it's romantic, and funny and it's Christmas - so what more do you want?  Any 'best of' film list must surely have at least one Hitchcock?  My choice is Rear Window (Collector's Edition). With James Stewart, Grace Kelly and Raymond Burr it's classy, thrilling, surprising, suspenceful and just a little bit sexy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in hearing your comments, thoughts and musings ...

Followers